Software Systems Engineer - Gateshead, England.
Our client is a dynamic company providing products and solutions for power utilities internationally. It’s products and solutions are primarily focused on renewable energy integration, Smart Grid applications, substation automation and distribution automation. These include Control, Protection, Smart Metering, Communications and Active Network Management software solutions.
We are recruiting a Software Systems Engineer.
This is a key role in a new area for the business delivering IT solutions, and will be responsible for streamlining the test, delivery, and support of these software systems. This includes the implementation of automated build, test, and installation on customer Linux platforms with associated configuration management and QA and release strategies. It will include creating business processes to support the delivery and quality of the delivered solutions.
The successful candidate must have relevant experience in developing and managing all aspects of software and be capable of problem-solving IT systems. You will undertake an active role in helping to deliver complex IT solutions, as well as the analysis and diagnosis of problems, providing recommendations and implementing corrective solutions as required.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for software delivery process & systems
• Developing processes and scripts for testing complex IT systems
• Software integration testing and system performance testing
• Preparing AWS Virtual Machines for new customers
• Configuration management systems
• Implementing software build processes
• Streamlining software release process
• Developing automated software installation process
• Support for system installation on customer systems
• Creating appropriate documentation for both internal and external use
• Troubleshooting application and system issues across a broad range of IT and communication systems with an emphasis on Linux environments, virtualisation, security, and networking
• Contribute to development standards, processes, security policies, tools
• Implementation and support of complex software solutions in diverse system environments
• Identifying and implementing appropriate system tools to provide monitoring of systems and services
• Design and implement backup solutions and disaster recovery for internal and customer systems
• Defining Cybersecurity standards for systems
Interested candidates should have:
• Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science
• A proven track record in managing IT/Software/Automation delivery with leadership experience
• A “Can-do” attitude - results-driven individual with determination to deliver whilst maintaining professional and technical standards.
• An organiser with focus on processes and software quality assurance
• Self-motivated to take ownership of issues and tasks
• Knowledge of a wide range of programming languages
• Experience of tools such as GIT, JIRA, Confluence, ELK, etc
• Experienced in both Linux and Windows based systems
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work well in pressurised situations, resolving incidents inside SLA requirements.
• Experience of AWS environments including set up and maintenance
• Experienced in network communications, routing protocols and VPNs
• Proficient in automation
• Commercial awareness and strives to streamline and reduce costs
• The ability to adapt to fit the demands of the business.
Remote working may also be considered for this role.