TITLE: Technical Design Manager
REPORTING TO: Technical Design & Project Director
LOCATION: UK (WFH)
The Role Holder will assume full responsibility & accountability for the successful delivery of the technical design stage of their respective projects across Ireland, Europe and the UK. The role will involve the management of internal and external designers, to execute projects to the highest level of client satisfaction. The role leads and manages Pre-Construction activities as the project moves from Award, through Planning, Design Co-Ordination, Procurement through to delivery to Site Operations Team.
KEY FUNCTIONS & RESULTS AREAS (KEY ACTIVITIES):
- The Technical design manager will be responsible for taking a project from award to handover, being a key point of contact with client and Main Contractor during pre-construction.
- Lead the technical design and submittal process, carry out further value engineering exercises in collaboration with the Commercial Department, refine specifications to ensure no under/over specifying is taking place and ensure financial opportunities are maximised.
- Attend internal and external project meetings as the businesses Design Lead ensuring project and client expectations are met.
- Attend departmental meetings and present summary reports on project health; program, budget, approvals etc.
- Ensure potential risks are identified at the earliest possible stage and are reported back to Directors and Senior Management.
- Manage resource requirements, utilizing internal team and establishing external consultants required to fulfil project requirements.
- Review drawings produced by internal and external designers ensuring compliance.
- Review specifications thoroughly ensuring proposals are fit for purpose.
- Review fire requirements for projects, ensuring specification proposed are in accordance with local building regulations.
- Conduct value engineering exercises at all opportunities.
- Review and interrogate calculations produced externally to satisfy yourself that we are not over or under specifying and are in compliance with building regulations at all times.
- Ensure compliance with company operating procedures and input into upkeep and update of same.
- Manage design and technical submittal process in line with project program ensuring deadlines are achieved and report on any potential delays to Technical Design Director.
- Review Bills of Quantities thoroughly ensuring no contradictions or inaccuracies and communicate same to project stakeholders immediately.
- Ensure compliance with project SORs
- Ensure design deliverables and design programme are set out and met.
- Once design/ pre-construction work is complete, handover the project to the wider company; operations, quantity surveyors, installation teams. Identify potential risk and opportunity that is available. A two/three stage handover process may be required to ensure all parties are comprehensively briefed on the project in strict accordance with the department SOPs.
- Oversee design budget tracking for projects you are responsible for and ensuring regular updates on same with Technical Design Director.
- Manage internal and external resources with work allocations, pipeline reviews and general team management under the direction of the Technical Design Director.
- Actively take part in hiring, training and evaluating employees.
- Demonstrate motivational leadership towards your team, coaching, supporting and guiding staff where possible.
What you will bring to the role:
- Resilient, transparent, a leader, and most importantly positive and team player.
- Be adaptable and innovative in your approach to planning and operations.
- Highly organised with strong attention to detail.
- Able to negotiate priorities and objectives to align varying viewpoints and create a unified approach.
- Able to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of stakeholders and to build relationships across diverse groups with strong client service skills.
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Able to learn, understand and apply new technologies and business process domains.
- Effective and proactive communication are a prerequisite
- Effective communication, supervision, and managerial skills
- Must have a high level of computer skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Strong team player
- Current driver’s licence
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS ROLE:
- A BTEC in Building Studies, Building Engineering or Building Management or a HNC/ HND/
Degree in Construction Management or Architecture / Architectural Technology (including an
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of managing elements of construction projects.
The post holder will demonstrate competence in the following areas:
Leading & Driving Performance
- Proactive with an ability to work on own initiative and to take the lead where appropriate
- Takes responsibility for own work and actions, delivers effectively, on time and to high
- Is a strong team player collaborating and working closely with all members of the
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic about taking on new challenges
- Good skills in maximising the use of resources available to achieve results and best value
- Committed to sharing knowledge and information with colleagues and line managers
- Can compile, analyse, and collate information in a meaningful way
- Maximises use of information communications technology, builds knowledge of its application and puts it to appropriate use to increase business performance and outputs
- Is committed to building and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Has well developed influencing skills with an ability to communicate strategies and to gain support for plans and ideas
Anticipating & Adapting to Change
- Maintains an external focus and applies critical thinking to anticipate the potential impact of external issues on the business
- Has a positive attitude to change and willingly identifies and embraces new plans and strategies for the business.
Imagination, Innovation & Creativity
- Embraces innovation and creativity within the Company and makes innovative and creative suggestions to the management team on possible improvements
- Displays fresh and forward -thinking approach Communications Skills
- Demonstrates ability to communicate verbal information clearly and concisely, is capable of delivering presentations and actively participates in relevant meetings
- Demonstrates ability to produce written reports to a high standard
Learning and Development
- Is open to giving and receiving constructive feedback from colleagues and others as appropriate
- Demonstrates a commitment to develop oneself in line with business needs
Please apply online or send CV to Nithin at email@example.com for a confidential discussion.