Our client are looking to recruit a Senior Design Manager to be based out of their Toronto office. This is a full time permanent role including support with getting a Visa.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Project Director, responsible for the oversight of Technical/Design services throughout the project lifecycle on major Design Build Construction projects. The Senior Design Manager will be accountable for ensuring designs are compliant, safe, meet the delivery/constructability needs of construction, and are most cost efficient from a total project cost perspective.
• Participation in the review and selection of potential design consultancy groups to provide Design services on Design Build projects.
Project Bid Phase
• Co-ordinate with the Project Director and bid team to ensure all technical requirements and design information is received, coordinated, understood and managed
• Selection of the appropriate design, product or techniques to deliver innovative solutions to projects
• Ensuring the contract requirements are clear, deliverable and achievable. Input into contract negotiations with the client on Technical matters.
• Assist in preparation of Bid submission documents
• Participation in Procurement strategy reviews.
• On P3 projects, interact in value engineering workshops with Operation and Maintenance teams to develop overall project lowest cost solutions over the concession lifetime
• Managing design/technical consultants and services during the project bid phase including
• Ensuring design is to the necessary detail to support estimating
• Ensuring value engineering is undertaken to ensure the lowest possible cost design solution that is compliant, safe and meets construction needs
• Co-ordinating constructability reviews with Bid team to ensure integration between design, construction and estimating teams
• Carrying out risk/opportunity reviews to ensure design is optimal.
• Ensuring all design deliverables are understood and scheduled to comply with contract review processes, utilities, stakeholders, permitting, procurement and construction schedule requirements.
• Monitoring performance of consultants and managing contracts through the bid phas
• Participation in the negotiation of Agreements for provision of design services in the Post contract award phase including
i. Developing payment schedules with appropriate incentive mechanisms
ii. Identification of performance management metrics
iii. Detailed deliverable schedules that will meet contract review procedure, permitting, procurement and construction needs.
Post Award Phase
• Manage the project Design Management Team. Co-ordinate will all members of the Project team to ensure all technical requirements are met and delivered in a timely manner.
• Effective Management of communications with the owner and other stakeholders including municipalities, utility companies and regulatory authorities
• Identification of design/technical changes/issues and input into the Change Management process
• Manage Design/Technical consultants and services to ensure
I. Design services are provided in a timely and cost effective manner in accordance with agreements
II. There is detailed monitoring of designer performance to identify issues and timely solutions
III. Monitoring/identification of ‘design creep’ and ensuring designers provide the lowest cost solution that is compliant and safe.
IV. Continued review of Value Engineering opportunities to optimize design and input into risk and opportunity analysis
V. Early identification and solutions of problems and issues
VI. Management of agreements and resolution of issues
• Input into Procurement planning, estimating, and reforecasting
• Oversight of the design/commissioning activities to ensure attestation that construction is in accordance with design
• Participation in lessons learned workshops in relation to technical issues
Required Knowledge and Skills
• A Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
• 10+ years’ experience in working in Contractor team on major Design Build Projects looking after technical issues and design consultants
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of construction engineering, construction process, sequencing and value engineering.
• Significant experience with the construction of highways and transit infrastructure, including civil, drainage and utilities
• Must possess sound judgement, highly developed management, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Commitment to Safety
• Highly Commercially aware
• Stakeholder Relations/Organizational Savvy
• Getting work done though others
• Planning and Organizing
• Managing complex decisions
• Energy and Drive
• Dealing with Trouble
If you are interested in this role please send a CV to Stephen.Walsh@icdsuk.com or Call Stephen on 0208 861 7847.
NO CV'S ARE SENT TO CLIENTS WITHOUT PRIOR CONSULTATION AND PERMISSION TO DO SO FROM THE CANDIDATE